On the Sunday, we’ll play for the Anchor Open.
Dave Payne and Jason Bowles are defending their 2011 win. All the other pairs are drawn as per room sharing.
On Saturday we play the Anchor Open – an individual stableford off full handicap.
On Friday we play a team competition. Details will be announced on Friday morning, at breakfast.
A later than normal weekend away has been reserved at Donnington Valley.
|Friday 1 Oct||11:22||18 holes golf – Team competition|
|Saturday 2 Oct||12:12||18 holes golf – Individual stableford competition|
|Sunday 3 Oct||09:40||18 holes golf – Pairs competition|
Dinner 19:00 at the Winepress Table d’hote
Breakfast arrangements to be confirmed.
Buggies will be partly subsidised by the society. The cost for the weekend away ( £280 ) now includes £20 for buggies as agreed at the EGM on 24th May.
Deposit of £50 required by 1st May. Final payment will be due in July.
16 members are attending this year’s weekend away at Wokefield park.
- Deposit of £50 per player was paid mid November 2016.
- Some players have paid more than the minimum deposit. Mike has the details.
- Final payment was due at Blacknest.
- Buggy cost £48 per person – assuming all 16 pay.
- We’ll meet for breakfast in Basingstoke. See below.
- Birdie money for the weekend and team competition prizes will be £10 as usual, to be collected on the Friday.
- 1 Sep – Team Competition – Wokefield Park
- 2 Sep – Pairs – Wokefield Park
- 3 Sep – Anchor Open – Wokefield Park
Meet for breakfast from 8:00 am at the Maidenhead Inn, 17 Winchester St, Basingstoke, RG21 7ED
It’s approx. 15 miles further to Wokefield Park ( RG7 3AH ). So we’ll leave for there at about 9:30am.
This’ll give us time to get sorted at Wokefield Park with buggies, cards etc..
Note: Check-In is not until 2pm, so we’ll have to do that after the round.
Don’t forget your swimming gear for the pool, sauna, jacuzzi.
This is not confirmed – the dates don’t match the calendar.
Bob may be looking at Donnington Valley again or efven Donnington Grove
For our final outing of 2021 we return to the Chichester Tower course. Coffee and bacon roll from 8:30, before first tee at 9:30.
This year’s presentation evening will be held at the Southsea GC.
Cost: £5 per member. Free to member’s partner.
Guests: £10 per guest (with or without partner)
- Ladies gift for every member who attends, with or without their partner.
- Free raffle
This year’s trophy winners – please make every effort to attend. See summary of results
To last year’s trophy winners: please return the trophy to Bob Unwin ASAP as we need to have them engraved for this year’s presentation evening.
Members are also invited to donate raffle prizes. The more the merrier. Please let Bob know before the evening as we have to prepare the raffle tickets.
This year’s Furzeley Challenge once again takes place on a Wednesday afternoon at Furzeley.
Medal competition, but with a maximum score per hole of 10. So if you would normally have NR’ed you just score10.
Meet at 1:00 pm for coffee and bacon roll.
Prize giving at the Harvest Home, Denmead.
Sign up at Captain’s day or let Bob, Jason or Herb know if you can/cannot play.
Jason B. has just texted to say that £17.00 should be fair. Don’t forget your £1 for birdies too.
Subs due either at Furzeley or later in the month at Chichester Tower.
The first ever competition was played at Wickham Park. 22 players entered. The winner was a bandit called Bob Unwin. He got 41 points, playing off 22 and was cut by 4 shots, by the Handicap Secretary Nick Cartmell, for December.
Of those 22 players, only 3 members are still playing: Bob, Steve Mouland and Herb Miller.
Arrive at Donnington Valley Golf Club – which is just down the road from the Hotel – by one o’clock, for first tee at 2:06.
Friday is the Team competition day; Captain vs Vice captain match play.
- The draw has been done.
- The teams were drawn randomly by Mike and Jason.
- Apart from the match between Bob and Jason the players were seeded by ascending handicap.
- So they could be fairly even.
- Full handicap difference.
- Lower handicapper gives shots on the harder holes. Stroke index 1, 2, 3 etc.
- Holes can be conceded at any time.
- Play all 18 holes.
- Count the number of holes each player wins.
- Clearly mark card with overall result. e.g. Capt: 6, Vice: 6. Halved: 6
- Dave Madgwick substituting for Gary Wicks – Friday only.
- We’ll be collecting £10 per player for birdies and team competition prizes. That’s £240.
- Winning team takes half the prize money. i.e. tenner each.
- The other £120 is for the birdies competition.
- Prize money for singles and pairs comes from society funds.
- Prize giving will be done on Sunday pm.
- Buggy sharing is per the start sheet: players 1& 2 in one buggy, 3 & 4 in the other.
The Newbury Wetherspoons is not next to Waitrose.
Another Covid-19 change. Donnington Grove isn’t open so we’re going to Donnington Valley instead. First tee time on Friday is 14:06.
The weekend away for 2020 had been booked for Donnington Grove, with 24 places reserved.
The tee times draw was done on Monday 24th August. Each room will get a tee time sheet on the Friday.
- 11 Sep 2020 – Team Competition
- 12 Sep 2020 – Individual Stableford Competition
- 13 Sep 2020 – Pairs Competition
- Check in is from 3pm.
- Face masks are required in public areas of the hotel. e.g. Reception, hallways. See Staying safe.
- We’ll probably be given a dinner menu to complete before we play on Friday.
|Person 1||Person 2|
|Bob Unwin||Matt Davies|
|Jason Bowles||Mike Griffin|
|Andy Banting||Trevor Banting|
|Jason Mihell||Mick Yates|
|Stuart Hogg||Rob Gunning|
|Martin Hawker||Martin Weightman|
|Gary Wicks||Paul Morgan|
|Jack McGillivray||Luke Iles|
|Herb Miller||Mel Blake|
|Ian Leighfield||Rob Budd|
|Dave Payne||Paul Cole|
|Rob Appleyard||Steve Mouland|
Deposits ( £50 ) expected either at the presentation evening or January outing. The balance ( £200 ) was due by the end of June.
Payment by BACS will be required. Banks details will be sent to each member. Use your name as reference.
Our second trip to Hunston in 2020 and we’re playing the Tower Course. It’s an early start for some. First tee 9:02.
Covid-19 restrictions apply.
Tee times draw
|09:02||Bob Unwin||Luke Iles||Jason Mihell||Jack McGillivray|
|09:10||Mike Griffin||Jason Bowles||Rob Appleyard||Gary Wicks|
|09:18||Trevor Banting||Robin Lovett (g)||Jim Stewart (g)||Simon Williams|
|09:26||Peter Jones||Mick Yates||Matt Davies||Martin Hawker|
|09:34||Dave Payne||Des Davis||Ian Leighfield||Herb Miller|
Special Covid-19 conditions
- Rolling breakfast baguette and take away coffee in the marquee.
- First serving from 8:00 for first tee 9:02.
- I recommend arriving between 30 and 45 mins before your tee time.
- Tee time draw will be done by Susan, taking into account any car sharing.
- One person per buggy unless you are from the same household.
- Social distancing applies before, during and after the game.
- No alcoholic drinks in the clubhouse unless with food.
- You can purchase takeaway beer to accompany your round of golf.
- Seasonal wear optional; santa hats, Xmas jumpers, etc.
- We’ll have NTPs if I can get them to the first group.
- I’ll be supplying Chichester with track and trace details of attendees.
- For full details of the updated restrictions see this document
Payment up front as for previous months.
- £35 for the round
- plus £10 subs if paid monthly
- plus £10 per month for any back subs prior to November
- plus £25 per buggy
Bob will be paying Chichester Golf on Monday 30th Nov. So confirmation required sharpish.
Returning once again to the Good Companion for the 2018 presentation evening. Good food and drink, prizes for the winners and a raffle.
7 for 7:30pm.
Wives, partners and other guests welcomed.
Please let the committee know if you’re going to attend, mentioning any guest(s) you may bring at Chichester.
Meet around one pm for the year’s only medal competition.
£12.50 for golf and around £4.50 for bacon roll and coffee.
First tee at 2pm or thereabouts.
Afterwards adjourn to the Harvest Home, Denmead.
So I suggest you drive from the 9th green to the 10th tee.
NTPs on the usual holes.
Full English Breakfast at Blacknest at 9:30. Golf at 10:30.
It’s a long time since we’ve been to Chilworth.
Please don’t forget to return any trophies from last year - nicely polished.
Also don’t forget that we have hot nosh after the golf. Dress code smart casual.
It’s a fairly early start for the Anchor Open – Individual Stableford competiton. After breakfast at the hotel, get into your cars and drive round to the golf course for first tee at 9:12.
The draw has been done by the committee. Each room will get a tee times sheet on Friday.
We hold our Annual medal competition for the coveted Furzeley Challenge Cup starting around 1:30pm, preceded by a bacon sarnie and tea/coffee. Jason Bowles tells me the first tee time is 13:30, so be there for half twelve.
Although it’s a Medal we stipulate that the max you can score on a hole is 10.
It’s golf, not darts, so we don’t want to see a score of 180!
Prize giving at The Harvest Home, Denmead.