For our final outing of 2021 we return to the Chichester Tower course. Full English breakfast from 8:30, before first tee at 9:30.
Enjoy a Full English Breakfast at Hill Barn from 9:30 on the 3rd Saturday of November before golf from 10:30.
For the first of our two visits to Hunston we play the Cathedral Course. After a Full English Breakfast from 10.
It’s a fairly leisurely start at Boundary Lakes on the 25th September. Coffee and Full English Breakfast from 11:00 before first tee just after noon. Tee reserved for 32 players, including 4 Boundary Lakes members.
Coffee/tea and a full English breakfast from 9:30 before 9 holes on the East course ( current back 9 ) and 9 holes on the West course ( new 9 holes ).
Buggies must be paid for by individuals no later than 2 weeks before. Call 01256 333232 to make payment.
We return to The Hampshire in the height of summer for the fourth outing of the year.
Arrive from 9 for coffee and breakfast baguette.
Covid-19 restrictions still apply.
A later than normal weekend away has been reserved at Donnington Valley.
|Friday 1 Oct||11:22||18 holes golf – Team competition|
|Saturday 2 Oct||12:12||18 holes golf – Individual stableford competition|
|Sunday 3 Oct||09:40||18 holes golf – Pairs competition|
Dinner 19:00 at the Winepress Table d’hote
Breakfast arrangements to be confirmed.
Buggy prices to be confirmed.
Deposit of £50 required by 1st May. Final payment will be due in July.
Arrive from 9am for coffee and bacon roll for a mid summer visit to Worldham.
Captain’s Day for 2020 was supposed to have been the society’s first visit to South Winchester. It’s now been rescheduled for Monday the 24th of May 2021.
A full day from 8:00 am for just £60, plus subs. And buggies if required.
- Coffee with bacon rolls on arrival
- 09:04 – 10:00
- 9 holes of golf – team game
- Rolling light lunch
- 12:33 – 13:28
- 18 holes of golf
- Two course dinner – food choice TBC
Covid restrictions will apply
- Name and contact details required for track and trace.
- Players to remain in their groups throughout the day
- No gatherings of more than 6 at the club
- Table service throughout the day
- Confirm by WhatsApp and pay online.
See also https://southwinchestergolf.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Guide-to-Golf-During-Covid-19-WEBSITE-16.03.21-1.pdf
The Anchor Golf Society’s first outing of 2021 is now re-scheduled for 24th April 2021 at Dummer. Bob’s booked for up to 30 players for society golf and a coffee and bacon roll beforehand.
Covid restrictions still apply.
Groupings attempt to take into account: buggy requirements and travel arrangements.
|10:32||Bob Unwin||Matt Davies||Rob Appleyard||-|
|10:40||Peter Jones||Simon Williams||Martin Hawker||-|
|10:48||Jack McGillivray||Mick Yates||Luke Iles||-|
|10:56||Andy Banting||Andy Holding||Robin Lovett||Trevor Banting|
|11:04||Mike Griffin||Jason Bowles||Mark Griffin||Jason Mihell|
|11:12||Stuart Hogg||Rob Gunning||Dave Payne||Herb Miller|
|11:20||Paul Morgan||Gary Wicks||Paul Cole||Des Davis|
Please make your payment online and include a reference confirming your name.
- £35 for green fees
- £10 for subs
- plus buggy hire if needed
Ask Mike if you owe any back subs or are due a refund from last year.
- Stay in groups of 4 to 6.
- Clubhouse is still closed; bacon roll and coffee on the patio.
- You can stay for drinks after the round.
- Submit results using the TAGS Scorecard WhatsApp group.
- No birdies competition.
- Do not touch anything on the course, including the flag.
- Exception: We will do NTPs. Only touch the marker if you need to put it on the green, move it, collect it to return to Herb.
- For more information see Dummer Golf Club re-opening – Covid-19 safe play
The Anchor Golf Society Annual General Meeting (AGM) for 2020 will be held as a Zoom Meeting. All TAGS members are invited to attend. Guests also welcome.
Zoom link sent via WhatsApp
The Zoom link will be shared on WhatsApp. The Zoom meeting will start at 7pm; the actual AGM will start when sufficient members have joined the Zoom meeting. The meeting will be recorded so that I can transcribe the Committee members reports and any discussion. If you do not wish to appear in the video ( which will probably not be published anyway ) then you can choose to turn off your video.
- Committee reports for 2020
- Captain’s report
- Vice Captain’s report
- Handicap secretary’s report
- Treasurer’s report
- Secretary’s report
- Plans for 2021. See Events
- Election of officers. See Contacts
- Member’s proposals
Please submit any proposals in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the WhatsApp group.
See also AGM 2019.
AGM 2020 summary – key points
- Events this year will once again be affected by Covid restrictions.
- Society funds reflect reduced income due to cancelled events.
- We’re planning a presentation evening for next January.
- Not many events have been booked.
- We’ll stick to using society handicaps and adjustments.
- Subs and green fees will remain the same.
- Subs will be due monthly for each event unless cancelled due to Covid restrictions.
- The committee members were unanimously re-elected.
Captain’s report – Bob Unwin
There’s not much really to say. We didn’t do much through the pandemic. And what we did do we had a few people moan about which unfortunately was not down to us or the society it was down the the clubs themselves. And I think this year’s going to be the same. I have only booked up until Captain’s Day at the moment. Can’t see any point in booking anything else. If I book anything every place wants a deposit. I booked a whole year last year. We paid deposits for every single game and we only ended up playing about 6 games. We’ve got 6 clubs that owe us money at the moment. If I do the same this year it’s going to be the same. I haven’t booked a weekend away because obviously we don’t know what the situation’s going to be in September. But if we can go away for a weekend nearer the time, and the pandemic’s a lot better than it is, then I’ll try and book something quite swiftly. But I understand that everyone else out there is probably going to do the same thing.
As for booking the rest of this year’s competitions, exactly the same thing, until March, April, May or whatever we don’t know what’s going to happen, whether or not golf courses are going to be open. So until that time I’m not going to physically look at booking. I don’t even talk to anyone at the moment because there’s no one there manning the phones. We’ll have to play this year month by month if I can get something. If I can’t it’s how it is at the moment. This year’s going to be a bit tough for everyone I think.
The weekend away last year was a bit of a rushed thing because I originally had something else booked and that was let down because the hotel wasn’t open because of the Covid. I managed to get somewhere else, which we all went to. Everything was organised late on the day. It was only about 3 or 4 weeks before we actually went, so even to get somewhere at that time was quite good. But even when we did that people still moaned at me, which I didn’t appreciate at the time. I undestand that people got upset with things that went wrong but unfortunately it wasn’t my fault. I did my best and that’s all I want to say about it really. The people that moaned, I didn’t appreciate their moans about it. But at the end of the day we all played 3 games and we all had a good time.
Vice Captain’s report – Jason Bowles
Jason thanked Bob for everything he’d done in the year, then proceeded with his report in the attached document.
Jason concluded by saying “thanks to everyone. Please just bear with us because it is quite hard. If anyone’s got any main gripes try and keep it off Bob’s shoulders if you can and just come to me if you want.
Handicap Secretary’s report – Andy Banting
It’s not been that difficult this year as you can probably gather. The reason why you haven’t had the results is because I was asked not to supply them mainly because we were hoping to have a presentation evening last month. Which didn’t happen. Obviously most of you know who won, came second or third. We’ll see what we want to do this year. Whether or not once we start playing I’m going to put the results out again. There certainly won’t be any tables again this year; we have to run a whole year for the tables. As Jason said about the sliding scale handicap, we discussed the thing as a committee and it’s been decided not to run that and keep it as it was. If you’ve got any opinions put your hand up and we’ll discuss it before AOB.
Thanks all you guys. The scorecard WhatsApp group seems to go well. Please use that all the time. I know we had a little bit of an issue with separate cards. Please make sure they are separate. I apprecate cards do get wet but please write them out again if you have to. You are there at the golf club and you can get a spare card if you need to. Thanks guys for making my life easier this year.
I’d like to thank the committee again, as Jason said, they all put a good shift in. Thanks to all you guys as well because without you we wouldn’t have a society. You turn up every month. Yeah, it hasn’t been so good this year. We haven’t had such a good laugh because we haven’t been able to get together before or after. But it’ll come back. We just have to make the best of what we’ve got.
Treasurer’s report – Mike Griffin
Herb shared his screen to display the 2020 accounts which Mike took us through.
Gentlemen, we started the year with a balance of £2.241.20, we then had green fees in, subs, weekend away and miscellaneous that gives a total in of £17,651.20. Green fees out, prizes, weekend away, presentation night (2019) and miscellaneous giving us a figure of £14.902.27. This gives us a balance brought forward of £2,790.93
You can argue that that’s an increase of nearly £500 but of course we didn’t have a presentation night. If we had done, we’d have lost about £1000 on the year. The reason for that, any time we don’t play golf, we’re not paying subs we lose on average £250-275 a month. So we’ve lot January, February and I would think March, so this year we’re going to be down at least £800, last year we’re down over £1000. There’s not a lot we can do about it. That’s it. The money’s there in the kitty. All the prize money is allocated in my bag. As soon as we play next, then to those people who will be there, Bob will be giving it out. Those that are not we’ll get it to them as and when. That money is allocated ready to go.
With Covid going on, and not knowing the situation, I propose no subs are paid up front this year. It makes life extremely difficult, especially if we’re not playing. So until further notice, and certainly I would think for the year, then if it’s being paid online, green fees and subs will be required online. Or, if we are meeting as normal, they can be paid on the day. Next year, hopefully, with this dreadful disease behind us wew go back to normal.
With regards to subs, I propose the subs and green fees remain the same. No increase, and hopefully, if we build up a bigger pot, we’ll have more money to spend on a presentation night, which hopefully again will be January.
Happy to answer questions.
Matt Davies asked if the money that’s gone out included the deposits for this year. Mike replied Bob’s paid a couple. The one’s we didn’t play last year are, in theory, a debt to us. They’re not showing on those figures.
Ian Leighfield asked about subs refunds. Money is owed to 8 or 9 people who paid up front. They’re owed for November – about £90 therefore. But we’ve owed about £80 too. So subs position virtually negates itself. The overpayment and underpayment will be sorted out over time.
Secretary’s report – Herb Miller
- From June onwards we set up three WhatsApp groups: TAGS – Anchor Golf, TAGS Scorecard and TAGS Committee.
- These were used to inform members of tee times, Covid-19 restrictions and other notices, to receive results, and for administration.
- Website mostly up to date – with full competition results available for many 2020 events.
|Event||Players / Guests||Birdies||NTP||Food/drink|
|Jan – Paultons||24 / 1||Y||Y||FEB & drink|
|Feb – Dummer||27 / 3||Y||Y||FEB & drink|
|Mar – Cancelled|
|Apr – Cancelled|
|May – Cancelled|
|Jun – Hurtmore||27 / 1||N||N||Bottles|
|Jul – Boundary Lakes||27 / 4||N||N||Drink after|
|Aug – Chi Cathedral||26 / 1||N||N||FEB & drink|
|Sep – w/e away||24 / 1||Y||Y||packed b/f & drink|
|Sep – Blacknest||24 / 1||N||N||FEB & drink|
|Oct – The Hampshire||22 / 2||N||Y||B/Baguette & bottles|
|Nov – Cancelled|
|Dec – Chi Tower||20 / 2||N||Y||B/Baguette|
Plans for 2021
Bob has booked some of the events. We’ve already missed our annual outing to Paulton’s. This year’s Captain’s Day will be at South Winchester, on a Monday, probably. See Events.
Election of Officers
Committee stood down and were all re-elected unanimously having confirmed we were all happy to stand again. The exception being that we’ve no real need for a Social Secretary at the moment.
Members proposals & AOB
Members and proposals and AOB to be taken into 2021.
|Several members||If you have an issue with the event organisation please do it in private and at a suitable time; not on the first tee in front of the whole society. Don’t blow issues out of proportion. Captain and/or Vice Captain should speak to the member who has a complaint.||-|
|MG original question.
Opinions were expressed by: MG, MD, MY, GW, SH, BU, JB
|When should we restart? Are you happy to play under Covid restrictions or wait until we can meet beforehand, play golf, get together afterward and have a presentation.
At least wait until we can play as 4 balls. Mike reminded us that the annual subscription is £120 per year, payable by members even if you don’t attend an event. Fees will not be paid if golf is cancelled because of Covid.
If you’re not prepared to pay subs you should not be in the society.
|Have games when we can have them. Subs due for each month the society plays.|
|HM with comments from MD, SH, BU, MG, AB, JB||Instead of a weekend away should we consider a mid-week away?
A number of options were discussed but no conclusion reached.
Members proposals from 2019 AGM
Note: These are the notes from last year. I wonder how well we did? See the Outcome column.
|HM||Should the max score per hole be par plus 5? Rather than 10.||Approved. AB will update spreadsheet.||No Majors due to Covid-19|
|RB||Can someone take responsibility for counting birdies? Answer: Yes. SH proposed that each player should take responsibility for checking their own card before it’s submitted.||From now on all players should sign their cards and check birdies are circled.||No birdies during Covid-19 except w/e away.|
|IL||Could the tracking sheet, or scores/positions for the year, please be sent all year round, or be accessible/uploaded onto the site outside of normal sending months/dates?||No. Not sent in the last few months.
Yes. The results will be uploaded to the website. But see above.
|Results now attached to events – see the Details tab.|
|MY||Can we adjust the reduction for 4 pointer birdies? e.g. Handicap
11 to 20: 0.3
above 20: 0.4.
Note: This is not quite inline with official player categories.
|Yes. Confirmed with AB.||See Starting handicaps for 2021.|
|PM||Can we make special allowances for lost balls in poor conditions.||No. Play a provisional.||Covid-19 local rules.|
|MY||Can we have a handicap review? It’s far easier to go down than up.||AB says: some players will be reset to the lower of their official handicap and society handicap.||Time to own up if your Club handicap is lower than society.|
|HM/MY||Perhaps winners should only be cut for one or two games, or just 0.5 for winning.||AB says: No. We’re a social society. Let’s not spoil it by making it too serious. It’s worked in the past.||No Major cuts this year|
- Meeting started: 19:10
- Meeting ended: 20:00
- Minutes written: 5th and 6th April 2021
Jim was one of Trevor Banting’s guests at Chichester Tower, December 2020.