Just to confirm Stuart’s observation that the website was hacked on the 18th August.
No data was modified in the attack, they just replaced the home page with a banner image.
Technical details – well, not really
The attack vector was some code I wrote for the original website. This was the hand cranked PHP code. It was last updated in January 2010.
The code allowed an unscrupulous visitor to pry into information that’s held outside of the website. There has only ever been one installation for this particular piece of code, but it exhibited a common problem which could easily be detected and exploited.
It turns out that this wasn’t the first attempt to attack the site by this method. There were two failed attempts on August the 8th, 2015.
I’ve fixed the code so that it won’t be hacked again by the same method. The hackers will have to find another route in.
Note: we don’t store any personal details – other than an approximation of player’s handicaps – on the site.